Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Introduction

"No law or ordinance is mightier than understanding." ~Plato

Plato and I agree on this claim, although we disagree about the nature of human knowledge. I created this blog to discuss how scientific knowledge influences society.

This is my logic:
  • Our knowledge shapes our perception of reality and therefore our actions.
  • Science provides the most reliable information about reality and can therefore best guide our actions.
  • To address how such information shapes our understanding of reality and thus our actions, I examine how aspects of several disciplines (e.g., biology, psychology, economics, communication) influence our thoughts and behavior.

I haven't kept a blog for a long time. I had the same Xanga for almost ten years until a friend from Xanga named JT Eberhard suggested Blogspot and helped me pick a name. JT is also the Campus Organizer for the Secular Student Alliance... Thank you, JT!

I want to maintain this blog while finishing my last year of grad school, and when I don't have time to write a new post, I'll use an essay I wrote for a class. I'm not 100% sure about the name "Utopian Science," so if you think of suggestions, feel free to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment